Collagen Induction Therapy
Plump, Remodel and Smooth your skin to perfection.
How Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) or Micro Needling Works
Automated Micro-Needling (also known as Collagen Induction Therapy or CIT) is a new innovation in aesthetic medicine for the treatment of fine lines, crepey skin, acne scars and improvement of the skin’s overall appearance. During this procedure, tiny needles are used to create controlled micro-injuries to the skin in order to produce collagen and elastin. The skin’s repair process results in a thicker dermis with the appearance of softer wrinkles. The Dermal micropen also creates superficial micro-channels which allow topical gels, creams and serums to be absorbed more effectively into the skin.
The Science Behind Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT)
Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), or micro-needling, is the procedure by which the body’s natural response to healing is used to increase the amount of extracellular matrix such as collagen or elastin in the skin. The micro-channels created by the Dermal MicroPen allow for leakage of blood, serum, and lymph in a controlled and temporary manner. These “injuries” are enough to initiate the wound healing cascade which is composed of three basic phases.
• Phase One | Inflammation: Activated by piercing the dermal tissue, platelets release cytokines and growth factors which act as signals for the body’s immune system. Neutrophils and macrophages cells are sent in to disinfect the wounds, clear the debris, increase the blood supply (a process called angiogenesis), and begin the creation of fresh, new cellular and extracellular materials (the granulation process).
• Phase Two | Proliferation: In this stage, the fibroblasts (cells that make up much of the dermis and create the extracellular matrix) keratinocytes and epidermal cells continue to divide to populate the areas of damage and secrete growth factors and extracellular matrix, such as elastin and collagen.
• Phase Three | Remodeling: At this stage, the wound has been replaced with new dermal tissues and the newly formed vasculature is now matured. The collagen in the newly formed tissue is now replaced with the stronger collagen and the tissue contracts to cause a “shrink-wrap” effect of the skin.
- Safety First. The MicroPen is inherently safer than dermal rollers, utilizing sterile single-use surgical grade disposable needle tips. The unique features of the Turbo Safety Needle ensure the MicroPen delivers greater efficiency and superior clinical results while maintaining the highest level of safety for both patient and provider. It is also safe for ALL skin types which means it is a great procedure for almost everyone!
- Faster is Better. MicroPen’s high-speed motor means quick penetration by the needles. This creates a more comfortable experience that patients describe as a sandpaper-like sensation.
- Customized For You. Each patient’s skin has unique features and individual needs. The adjustable needle depth allows MicroPen professionals to customize your treatment.
- Consistent Results. Safety and control features lead to predictable, consistent results. Compared to chemical peels and dermal rollers, MicroNeedling is able to deliver a predictable healing experience for every patient.
Follow with an Omni Laser rejuvenation
We recommend following your Collagen Induction Therapy with an Omni Laser session to further enhance collagen, elastin and cell renewal as well as reduce redness and inflammation.
How is the procedure done?
A sterile needle-tip containing 12 tiny micro-needles is attached to the Dermal MicroPen. Your skincare professional will apply a thin layer of highly potent hyaluronic acid (super hydrating serum) and vitamin C to your skin and select the appropriate treatment depth based on your unique needs. Next, in a single motion, the pen will be gently pressed against the skin while simultaneously gliding in one direction until the entire treatment area has been covered. This results in thousands of microscopic channels throughout the entire treatment area.
What are the Benefits?
The benefits of micro-needling are a reduction in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and crepey skin, younger-looking skin with fewer signs of aging. The treatment also has a positive effect on hyper-pigmentation as well as on hypo-pigmentation, acne scars, traumatic scars and stretch marks and generally creates a fresher appearance or glow to the skin.
What areas of the body can I treat?
CIT can be performed on all parts of the body; Face, neck, décolleté, arms, hands, legs, abdomen and back.
What does it Feel Like?
The feeling associated with the Dermal Micropen is similar to light sandpaper being moved across the skin. While some areas are more sensitive than others, the speed of the reciprocating needle tip reduces discomfort while the applied hydrating gel also makes the treatment more tolerable.
How long does the procedure take?
The procedure takes 15-30 minutes depending on the size of the area treated.
What is the downtime?
Immediately after the treatment you will notice a bright redness to the skin.
The total healing time depends on the depth of needles used and the number of overlapping passes your skincare professional performs. On average, patients are red up to 1 to 3 days. Some patients heal completely in as little as 12 hours. Utilizing the Omni Laser therapy and quality healing skincare products will help to speed up the healing process.
When will I see the results?
Patients notice an immediate “glow” to their skin. Visible changes to the skin develop over the course of several days and weeks. Results continue to improve up to 6 months after the treatment as collagen production continues.
How many treatments will I need?
Some patients only require a single treatment, once per year to achieve optimal results. However, it is recommended for most patients to receive a series of 2-4 treatments spaced about 4-8 weeks apart. For patients with deep wrinkles, advanced photo-aging, stretch marks or acne scars it is recommended to receive 6-8 sessions at 4 week intervals.
When is skin needling treatment not suitable?
- the treatment should not be performed within 2 weeks of having an injectable dermal filler or botox.
- the treatment is never performed on raised moles, warts or lesions
- during pregnancy (when breastfeeding the treatment is allowed)
- medication (some medication may reduce healing time, please advise your therapist on anything you may be taking)
- the treatment will not be performed if the client has an active herpes or acne breakout, however, once resolved the treatment can go ahead after 2 weeks
- medical conditions ( ie diabetes) need medical certificate
Skin Body Health is one of the most well respected, reputable laser clinics in Sydney. This hard-won reputation is the result of years in the laser industry, perfecting our skills, and ensuring we always use the very latest technology and the most experienced people.
Our laser clinic offers the best, most permanent solutions to common skin and body problemsl, using the very latest international technology.
The Nova Light TGA/FDA approved technology has been scientifically proven by the European Society For Laser Aesthetic Surgery (ESLAS) for its effectiveness and safety.
All our treatments are carried out by a fully-qualified laser technician with over 10 years experience.
Skin Body Health believes high standard treatments should be accessible to everyone. For this reason, our clinic offers the best prices in Australia, without sacrificing quality.